Machine shop bill. Good work cost $$$$$$$$$

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Machine shop bill. Good work cost $$$$$$$$$

Post by dwg86 »

I just got a call from my machine shop. Engine is ready to be picked up. The work that was done. Clean, bore, and zero deck block. Install cam bearings and freeze plugs. Turn and polish 12 weight crank(Shop said only had to turn the mains .010. Rod journals were perfect). Balance assembly. Install pistons on rods. The only parts I had to buy from the machine shop was cam bearings and brass freeze plugs. The bill...$818.04!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't seen the itemized bill yet. I can't imagine why it's so high, unless they had to add heavy metal to balance the crank. I'll be picking up the engine sometime next week. I'll post what is in the bill. Has anyone else had that kind of cost?

The machine shop came highly recommended. He builds mostly high performance engines. After talking to shop, I found out they have built a couple of 4.0 strokers.
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: Machine shop bill. Good work cost $$$$$$$$$

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

I was right under $1000 with everything you said plus a 3 angle valve job and machining the rods to accept forged pistons.
I had my work done at Golen Engine so I know it was top grade work but like you said, good work costs $$$$ especially in this economy :roll:

Jake
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Alex22 »

They didn't give you an estimate before you gave the OK to do the work? Where I work we have set prices for just about every operation and we give the customer an estimate of the total bill, all machine work and parts. As long as there aren't any unexpected problems that is very close to the final bill. We don't want to do a bunch of work and then have the customer flip when he gets the bill. Its not good for either of us.

That looks like a fair price for having that work done at a good shop. I doubt they needed any heavy metal for the balance job. I spun my stock 12CW crank up [std rods] and it said that I needed to add a few grams in the front and in the back, right where the factory drilled their holes. Since your rod journals were ground 10 I would say that the counterweights needed a few holes drilled in them.
The enemy of good thing is wanting something better.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Mine is going to run me $789 for the short block assembled, balanced and blueprinted.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Alex22 wrote:They didn't give you an estimate before you gave the OK to do the work? Where I work we have set prices for just about every operation and we give the customer an estimate of the total bill, all machine work and parts. As long as there aren't any unexpected problems that is very close to the final bill. We don't want to do a bunch of work and then have the customer flip when he gets the bill. Its not good for either of us.

That looks like a fair price for having that work done at a good shop. I doubt they needed any heavy metal for the balance job. I spun my stock 12CW crank up [std rods] and it said that I needed to add a few grams in the front and in the back, right where the factory drilled their holes. Since your rod journals were ground 10 I would say that the counterweights needed a few holes drilled in them.
The mains were turned .010 rods are standard. They gave ma a price sheet a while ago when they resized my rods. I thought I figured the cost up cheaper. I guess I was wrong. As long as the work is good, and better than the last shop I used, I'll be ok. A little sticker shock though.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Damn, next time you guys should send your machine work to NY, then you'll really appreciate ONLY paying $800ish!! Although i still think the pricing was ok for the work i had done

For $1300 , i got my stuff:
Block: Bored, honed, decked.
Crank: Balanced, ground, and polished
Rods: Magna fluxed, Resized, balanced, ARP bolts installed, pistons installed
Head: 3 angle valve job, skimmed head for flatness, ground valve seats, valves, and installed supplied seals and springs.
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

I just went back and looked at what I paid:
$235 for the head getting dipped, shaved .006", and 3-angle valve job w/ pressure check(he dug the port&polish).
$430 for the block getting dipped, decked .030", bored .030" and honed, crank checked(was good), cam bearings removed and pressed in, pistons pressed on rods, and a 1cm spacer made from an old 258 HB(I cut off the pulley and spokes). Kudos to Tacho's Torneria!
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Found my receipt....

Boil Block - $95
Install freeze plugs - $20
Bore and Hone (.060) - $240
Deck block (.036) - $100
Crank - Boil, grind, polish, mag flux - $200
Balance rotating assembly - $200
Rods - Press pistons off, mag flux, resize, arp bolts, press on pistons - $180
Head - 3 angle valve, install my springs, reatainers, locks, and set heights - $300
Total machine work $1335

Cutting out the middle man and dealing with the source directly - Priceless

I say that because 4 other machine shops in the area that i called send their balancing work to Ace Crankshaft, so i just dealt with them directly.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Here is my break down:

bore & hone block: 114.00
vat block: 48.00
install cam brgs: 20
balance rotating assembly: 150.00
groove lifter bores: 80.00
install pistons on rods: 24.00
deck block to .003 : 75.00
install bolts & resize x 6 rods: 78.00
assemble short block: 200.00

When I had my head done they did a 3 angle valve job, back cut the valve 32*, and cut the spring seats for 100# and iirc it was around $350
93YJ250k

Post by 93YJ250k »

What part of Atlanta are you in?

I am north of Atlanta in Buford. I want to keep up with your results, I am planning a build soon.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

I live in Dallas Ga...northwest of Atlanta.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Always check you machine shop work. They put my pistons on backwards. There is no arrow on the top, as dishing them removed the arrow. But the quench side of the piston is on the wrong side with the rod squirt hole facing the cam. So far the machine work they did looks good (crank, rods, bore, decking).
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

dwg86 wrote:Always check you machine shop work. They put my pistons on backwards. There is no arrow on the top, as dishing them removed the arrow. But the quench side of the piston is on the wrong side with the rod squirt hole facing the cam. So far the machine work they did looks good (crank, rods, bore, decking).

LOL Dave, not EVERYBODY can be an expert like you :-) :rockout:

good catch though :-)
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Thanks Mike, BTW, how's the Jeep running?
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

dwg86 wrote:Thanks Mike, BTW, how's the Jeep running?

Been running REALLY good. Thanks for asking :-) Just a little disappointed with the fuel mileage. If i keep my foot out of it, i can't get better then 14 MPG. If i keep crushing the skinny pedal, i'm gettin around 10-11 mpg. Sometimes i wish the gearing was a little taller so i get turn over a few more RPM on the highway (5th gear @ 55 mph turns over 1900 RPM, would prefer like 2200) but at other times i'm glad its not, cause 1st gear is low enough as it is (already finding myself starting off in 2nd gear a lot)

My plans for the future (future meaning like in the next 6 months LOL) gonna be 2 inch body lift, remove my 1" spacers from the belly pan to get it back up in the air a little, and then a heavy duty SYE kit and some tom woods front and rear drive shafts.

oh yeah, and better BRAKES! Check out my project thread to see the damage done to my Dana 35C axle, i just posted it up a little while ago