How much will a MLS head gasket compress?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Exos
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Re: How much will a MLS head gasket compress?

Post by Exos »

National4WD (Canada) says it's "non-refundable" because it was a special order... I've spent in the area of 5000$ with them in the last year. And they had the guts to ask me for a deposit for the new gasket sets, they never asked for a deposit before when I ordered individual parts. So fudge them, I'll probly buy somewhere else.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I ordered a second P4529242 from Summit. The deal is still back ordered on P4529242, however they can get the 53010587AA with no problem. The gasket from Summit showed up today. Its the same 53010587AA in the packing but it comes with Mopar Performance decals. Any how I have two of the P4529242/53010587AA gaskets. One will be used tomorrow to check the compressed thickness using lead. I also have on order a VR gasket that was reported to be .038" thick. We will see what the P4529242 really compresses to. Its the only way to be sure.

-Chris
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

SilverXJ wrote:I One will be used tomorrow to check the compressed thickness using lead.

-Chris
Huh? How do you check with lead?
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

SilverXJ wrote:The deal is still back ordered on P4529242, however they can get the 53010587AA with no problem.

-Chris
From what I know since the beginning of this thread and others, they should be both the same gasket...
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Exos wrote:
Huh? How do you check with lead?
You put lead between the block and head in an area where there is no gasket. In our case I needed to drill a few holes in the gasket to get multiple measurements. You put the gasket on, put the lead in the holes and torque it down. Remove head and measure the lead. Of course the gasket is now garbage once you are done. I'm a little concerned that it isn't .041" compressed as it is an OEM gasket. We shall find out tomorrow.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Exos wrote:
SilverXJ wrote:The deal is still back ordered on P4529242, however they can get the 53010587AA with no problem.

-Chris
From what I know since the beginning of this thread and others, they should be both the same gasket...
Yes, they are. I meant to say the dealer is still back ordered, but they have no problem getting the OEM gasket. However, even with my 25% discount at the dealer summit was still cheaper on the MP labeled gasket.
Exos
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Exos »

I'm dissapointed with Mopar Performance... their head gasket is probably the same as the new OEM, their "performance" gasket set is BS, with cork gaskets and non-MLS head gasket.

I'm now wondering about lifters and springs. Maybe I should get Comp or other springs and lifters, if the quality of MP is like that.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Exos wrote:I'm dissapointed with Mopar Performance... their head gasket is probably the same as the new OEM, their "performance" gasket set is BS, with cork gaskets and non-MLS head gasket.

I'm now wondering about lifters and springs. Maybe I should get Comp or other springs and lifters, if the quality of MP is like that.
I have no problems with their springs, and the ones comp recommends with their Jeep cams have a ridiculously high spring rate. Their original MP gasket was a composite gasket, not MLS. I really hope I don't find out that their MLS MP/OEM gasket is actually .051" compressed. I tried to pick up my Vicotr Reinz MLS gasket today and take some measurements, but they were closed when I got there. VR says it is .042" compressed.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Scratch one gasket, its .044" compressed. The blue part is the part that won't let the head gasket go down to the .041" of the steel only part. Also, the P4529242/53010587AA is the same as the Victor Reinz 54249S gasket (available from Carquest using 54249, no 'S'). They both measured .040"-.041" on the steel only area and .055"-.057" in the blue and steel sealing areas. As for the accuracy of my calipers, I used feeler gauges to check the reading on the gauge, and also used a second set of calipers. So, I feel that this is an accurate measurement of the new style P4529242/53010587AA/VR54249S head gasket. I'm rebating starting another post with this same info in it for future searches. So now I have 3 usable gaskets, the VR, the MP and the old composite .041" VR/MP gasket.

-Chris
eastin82
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by eastin82 »

ive been reading posts for some time now and have gathered most all parts for my build. still havent taken block to machine shop cause im not sure on gasket thicknesses. would like to have a real tight quench. was wondering about the thinest quality gasket i could come accross. hope u figure this one out for me.
keepin the five alive!
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

SilverXJ wrote:Scratch one gasket, its .044" compressed. The blue part is the part that won't let the head gasket go down to the .041" of the steel only part. Also, the P4529242/53010587AA is the same as the Victor Reinz 54249S gasket (available from Carquest using 54249, no 'S'). They both measured .040"-.041" on the steel only area and .055"-.057" in the blue and steel sealing areas. As for the accuracy of my calipers, I used feeler gauges to check the reading on the gauge, and also used a second set of calipers. So, I feel that this is an accurate measurement of the new style P4529242/53010587AA/VR54249S head gasket. I'm rebating starting another post with this same info in it for future searches. So now I have 3 usable gaskets, the VR, the MP and the old composite .041" VR/MP gasket.

-Chris
just an FYI, the MLS gaskets *are* reusable if you don't beat them up going on and off... if you are in a pinch at least.
eastin82
Donator
Donator

Post by eastin82 »

what part number for one that compresses .043 .044 and whats the best place to find one
keepin the five alive!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Umm.. go back about 4 posts and try reading.

Thank you for wasting bandwidth today. :smack:
eastin82
Donator
Donator

Post by eastin82 »

give me a break ive read and drank to much for one day but dont worry i got it now :cheers:
keepin the five alive!
ccpanel
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 275
Vehicle Year: 1950
Vehicle Make: chevy
Vehicle Model: truck

Post by ccpanel »

SilverXJ wrote:Scratch one gasket, its .044" compressed. The blue part is the part that won't let the head gasket go down to the .041" of the steel only part. Also, the P4529242/53010587AA is the same as the Victor Reinz 54249S gasket (available from Carquest using 54249, no 'S'). They both measured .040"-.041" on the steel only area and .055"-.057" in the blue and steel sealing areas. As for the accuracy of my calipers, I used feeler gauges to check the reading on the gauge, and also used a second set of calipers. So, I feel that this is an accurate measurement of the new style P4529242/53010587AA/VR54249S head gasket. I'm rebating starting another post with this same info in it for future searches. So now I have 3 usable gaskets, the VR, the MP and the old composite .041" VR/MP gasket.

-Chris
im trying to determine exactly which headgasket came with my felpro kit. machinist says its the 041 and im not sure. no part number on the gasket.
where EXACTLY do i measure? it looks like a blue composite with metal rings in it. i measured the metal between 2/3 and 4/5 and it came up around 048 the blue part is around 057/058
im measuring with a micrometer not calipers.
because of some tolerance stacking and an error-i actually want the 051 gasket.