Looking for a number

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Looking for a number

Post by Plechtan »

I have been through the FAQ section and can't seem to find the amount of combustion volume you lose for rvery .010 you mill of the head. It should probably be added to the head FAQ. So does anybody know?
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
tomcat
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Re: Looking for a number

Post by tomcat »

let's assume the head's diameter is 4" and not a dome for "easy" math.

4" x .01" = .04 cubic inches
.04 inches is 0.1012 cc's

6 cylinders give you either .24 cubic inches
or
.6072 cc's

that, or i am way wrong
eastin82
Donator
Donator

Post by eastin82 »

*For each 0.010" milled from the block deck (or taken from head gasket thickness) to reduce quench height, the combustion volume decreases by ~2.0ml and the CR increases by ~0.2*.
thats found on dino's stroker page
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html
not sure how that converts to cc's but i hope it helps
keepin the five alive!
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by PolloLoco »

1cc = 1ml

2cc is correct.

4in diameter = 10.16cm diameter
pi * (10.16cm/2)^2 = 81.07cm^2

0.01in = 0.0254 cm
81.07cm^2 * 0.025cm = 2.06cm^3 or cc

2.06cc * 6 cylinders = 12.36cc = 0.75in^3

Now that 2.06cc is assuming a 4in diameter, which is only for the gasket. IIRC the head is somewhere between 3.905in and 3.935in (I remember that because boring 60 over makes the cylinder bore larger than the opening of the cylinder head). Doing the math for a circular cylinder head with a diameter of 3.91in I get 1.97cc. So let's just say it's somewhere around 2cc per cylinder.

tomcat:
You need to find the area of the circle first (pi * r^2), multiplying in by in will only yield in^2, not in^3.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
SIXPAK
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 280

Post by SIXPAK »

I think Pete is asking about the cylinder head milling not the block or head gasket here. The combustion chamber is not round so you will not loose as much for every .010 removed from the head as compared to the block or head gasket. Maybe I'm wrong about what he is asking though.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

The combustion chamber shape is not a circle, it is more oval, and not 4" in either dimension. I think it is about 3,9" across and the width varies from about 2.5" to probably around 2". You can't use the area of a circle to calculate this. I would have assumed that somebody has a kind of a rule of thumb, like the combustion chamber is 66% of the size of a 4" circle,

By the way CC and ML are the same thing,, so if taking .010 off the block reduces the volume by 2ml ( 2cc) and the combutstion chamber is 66% ( for example) of the area of the cylinder, than milling the head .010 would only reduce the volume by 1.3 CC. I have no idea if the 66% number is close or not.

For now we can say that the number is more than 1CC and less than 2CC
Peter Lechtanski
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by John »

Peter, I think you will find .007 removed from the head will reduce the chamber volume 1 CC.
John
tomcat
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by tomcat »

PolloLoco wrote: tomcat:
You need to find the area of the circle first (pi * r^2), multiplying in by in will only yield in^2, not in^3.
mmmmmmmmmmmmm pi

:brickwall:

on the right track though
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by PolloLoco »

Plechtan wrote:The combustion chamber shape is not a circle, it is more oval, and not 4" in either dimension. I think it is about 3,9" across and the width varies from about 2.5" to probably around 2". You can't use the area of a circle to calculate this.

For now we can say that the number is more than 1CC and less than 2CC
That's why I assumed a circular cylinder head of 3.91in, it makes the math easy. A lot of engineering is assumptions and approximations. :D

Yeah, I should have made it clearer, my mind tends to think things that I don't say. Between 1cc & 2cc per cylinder seems to be a good approximation.

Isn't there a way to measure the volume that involves mineral oil? Maybe you can tell us the real answers before and after. :cheers:
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

John wrote:Peter, I think you will find .007 removed from the head will reduce the chamber volume 1 CC.
John
That's right. If you shave 0.010" from the head, the combustion chamber volume is reduced by 1.4cc.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
John

Post by John »

Thanks for the back up Dino :cheers:
John
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by shockcocker04 »

my math says 1.4cc as well :rockout:
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

The reason there's no agreed rule of thumb around here Pete is almost no one is actually trying to ADD compression, most builds are trying to keep it managable for pump gas.

I wonder if you'll have to remove so much that as you get closer to your compression goal you'll reach area's of the combustion chamber where the cross section is dramatically smaller? You should probably cc the head before and after the first couple cuts to make sure you're somewhere around 2.8 less cc's then cc the head again if you get close enough to the roof of the chamber that the cross section is smaller with every cut. Of course I say this not knowing your piston/dome.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

I will be using a flat top piston, 0 deck height. My combustion chamber is about 62 cc right now. Many of us seem to increase the chamber size when putting in oversize valves, so even on a standard stroker it may be desirable to reduce the size back to 56 cc or so.

I was also thinking of what Rick Mudge told me, that the smaller the combustion chamber, the more power you will make. His thoughts were that you should dish the positon more rather than increase the size of the chamber. He says he proved this with the Hill dragster.

It would be interesting to build a pump gas stroker, and try this out, I am not sure how much you can take off the stock head without getting into trouble.
Peter Lechtanski
John

Post by John »

Plechtan wrote: It would be interesting to build a pump gas stroker, and try this out, I am not sure how much you can take off the stock head without getting into trouble.
Conversation with the folks at Hesco put this number at .125, and they do not recommend removing that much.
John