Starting my build

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Rob92XJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L

Starting my build

Post by Rob92XJ »

Ok today I took a 4.0L piston and pressed it onto a 4.2L rod and put it on my crank when at TDC the piston to deck clearance was about .008" I've been reading that most people and one of my co workers had alot more clearance and had to deck the block. The block I'm using is a 96 NVH block the crank and rods are from a 89 4.2 out of a YJ. Has anyone else ran into this? I'm dropping everything off at the machine shop tomorrow since my XJ's engine blew lastnight.
rradford9
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5l

Re: Starting my build

Post by rradford9 »

Was this a stock piston that you pressed on or a new one? Sounds to me (and I'm pretty much a newb) like you used the 4.0 rod instead of the 4.2. Is there a casting # on it somewhere?
4.5L Simple Stroker
* 4.2L crank & rods
* H802CP pistons (18cc dish)
* 9.57:1 SCR / 8.28:1 DCR
* 0.050" Quench
* 62mm TB
* Hot Air Intake
* 2.5" Magnaflow cat and Flowmaster 50
* JBA Header
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

He's right. what is the casting number on the rods, and what information on the pistons do you have. That will let us answer your question a lot better.
John
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

I can't figure out what could have happened. 4.0 rod doesn't explain it either. With 4.0 rod being a 1/4" longer than the 4.2 rod, if he accidentally put the 4.0 piston (no matter what make it is stock or aftermarket) onto a 4.0 rod instead of the 4.2 rod, when he connects it to the 4.2 crank it's going to come out the top. Otherwise we would all be doing this and we would much better quench with the poorman's stroker. :o

Even if you use all 4.0 parts (piston, rod and crank), you don't end up with .008" deck clearance. Best guess I have is reading the measurement incorrectly. Is it possible that it's .080" deck clearance? Bigger mistakes have been made. :huh:

If it is .008", and you didn't use any custom parts, there will be a lot of people interested in your combination of parts. :rockout:
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Did you use bearings?
Rob92XJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Rob92XJ »

OK I left one 4.0L rod and piston together, installed the 4.2 crank and the piston came out of the block .250", removed piston from rod and installed it on a 4.2L rob had .008". Yes I did use bearings the ones from the 4.0 rod since the ones from the 4.2 were wiped. My co workers stroker had about .250 to the top of the block the only difference is his crank and rods were from a early 80's 4.2 and his block is the original from his 93 YJ. My block is a 96 NVH block and my crank and rods are from a 89 YJ. I had a stock 01 XJ in 2 weeks ago for a misfire due to a burned valve and the pistons were not close to the deck at TDC.
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

Rob92XJ wrote:OK I left one 4.0L rod and piston together, installed the 4.2 crank and the piston came out of the block .250",.
I thought when you posted again we would have a logical explanation to this. Unfortunately, above is the only part of your post that adds up. Is it possible your block was decked previously?
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Rob92XJ wrote: Yes I did use bearings the ones from the 4.0 rod since the ones from the 4.2 were wiped.
Definitly not trying to be a smart ass, but do you have main bearings in too? And, what are you using to measure it?
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
Rob92XJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Rob92XJ »

oletshot wrote:
Rob92XJ wrote:OK I left one 4.0L rod and piston together, installed the 4.2 crank and the piston came out of the block .250",.
I thought when you posted again we would have a logical explanation to this. Unfortunately, above is the only part of your post that adds up. Is it possible your block was decked previously?
As far as I know the block was never decked the engine came out of a friends XJ and the person who owned it before him was a really good customer at the dealership I work for. It is weird from what I had seen on others strokers and from when I worked at a machine shop. I was thinking it may have to do with the NVH block.
Everything is at the machine shop now, so I don't have the casting numbers handy.
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

From what I remember the new block has a taller deck and would need more material taken off to achieve the deck clearance your finding. Right now, I'm stumped.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
Rob92XJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Rob92XJ »

Mgardiner1 wrote:
Rob92XJ wrote: Yes I did use bearings the ones from the 4.0 rod since the ones from the 4.2 were wiped.
Definitly not trying to be a smart ass, but do you have main bearings in too? And, what are you using to measure it?
Yes the main bearings were in too the ones from the 4.0L block, not the 4.2L
What I'm checking it with is this
http://www.handsontools.com/zoomify.asp ... 781123.jpg

My friend and co worker even said his pistons were alot further down the bore then mine are.
Rob92XJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Rob92XJ »

oletshot wrote:From what I remember the new block has a taller deck and would need more material taken off to achieve the deck clearance your finding. Right now, I'm stumped.
Same here I posted this to see if anyone else ran into this. But I'm not complaining about it, just weird.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Maybe I missed it, but what pistons are you using? Possible different compression height than usual?
Rob92XJ
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by Rob92XJ »

SilverXJ wrote:Maybe I missed it, but what pistons are you using? Possible different compression height than usual?
The piston I had pressed onto the 4.2L rod was a bone stock 4.0L piston out of the block. I don't have my new pistons in hand the machine shop is ordering them for me.
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

Rob92XJ wrote:
SilverXJ wrote:The piston I had pressed onto the 4.2L rod was a bone stock 4.0L piston out of the block. I don't have my new pistons in hand the machine shop is ordering them for me.
Don't the OE pistons have the tallest pin height of all the 4.0 pistons?
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel