Air box build

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Re: Air box build

Post by amcinstaller »

i think it actually changes the timing slightly, retards it a bit to prevent ping. nice cover! i like the little window, then you can check you filters cleanliness without having to pull all that apart. in general, the box looks very well done and very nice. im looking forward to hearing if you notice any gains, even seat of the pants gains. and cheromaniac, did you go the long way around for space purposes or to gain a little length in the intake for torque?

recently i sent my honda accord (before any of you say it, i know, real sporty :roll: ) to the crusher as every push of the gas yeilded another cry for help from the miled out engine. on that car i had a cold air intake that actually put my filter in the front bumper. that meant about 3-3 and a half feet of intake pipe. when i drove it to the wrecker i pulled the intake piping to use on another project and drove it down with no intake whatsoever, just an open throttle body. seat of the pants felt a drastic decrease in torque (although that car didnt have much torque to lose) but an increase in throttle response, particularly at high rpm. so the long winded question is, do you think you gain a small amount of torque with the longer pipe vs silver xjs short ram pipe?
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

The PCM will enrich the fuel ratio slightly and increase the timing when it sees cooler air.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

amcinstaller wrote:i like the little window, then you can check you filters cleanliness without having to pull all that apart.
That is one reason I put the window in, the other was to break up the hugh cover a bit.
im looking forward to hearing if you notice any gains, even seat of the pants gains.
Already i have noticed that when the engine heats up I don't notice quite as much as a decrease in power. However I know that the major change will happen when I get rid of that boat anchor they call a fan. The main reason I went with an aftermarket air tube vs. the stock one with a pipe to go to the air filter is because I wanted to get rid of the corrugated stock tube, which causes restriction.
short ram pipe?
This is something I don't understand. The whole "short ram" thing. The Honda guys always call some CAI a short ram, yet the only short ram I know of is a V8 intake manifold.
dragginwagon406
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dragginwagon406 »

I know it's been said before but your XJ is incredibly clean and your attention to detail is unbelievable :rockout:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Thanx. I try to keep it clean. It takes work, but I feel its worth it. Especially since I can't exactly go to the dealer and get a new one. Heck, it is 11 years old and looks at most maybe two years old.
DesertDawg
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2001

Post by DesertDawg »

Now I changed the filter to an closed filter (K&N Apollo) and connected the hose to the kabin which have AC and therwith REAL cold air.
I now own this car. For reference, so no other poor sod goes down this route, here is the dyno graph with the arrangement above vs stock air filter.

Go figure

Dave
woodjeep
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by woodjeep »

Hi, is there any way to enlarge the graph in the post above mine...I can't read it..thanks
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

DesertDawg wrote:I now own this car. For reference, so no other poor sod goes down this route, here is the dyno graph with the arrangement above vs stock air filter.

Go figure

Dave
Hi Dave,

Nice to see you over here as well as on AD4x4. Hope Frankie's on his best behaviour! ;) Are you going to give him a Christmas treat or has he had enough treats already? I've treated my Jeep to a spit & polish. 8-)
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
DesertDawg
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2001

Post by DesertDawg »

Hi Dino.

Franki has had a few treats recently: Durango steering box and steering fluid cooler installed. New front axle upper hub ball joints, new hubs, complete rear drum brake rebuild with new pads, cylinders and hardware. Front skid plate.

BUT, it is still overheating after a good ragging in the desert.

I think the only way to go is an ali radiator. Looking at a Griffin but having trouble finding one that fits a 2001.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Dave